AWCo is based in Duluth, Minnesota and works with North Central USA suppliers to bring you uncompromised quality in harvest, modification, and millwork. The raw goods harvested for AWCo products come from sustainably managed forests. Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has been recognized as a leader for forest stewardship by FSC and SFI third party certification bodies as the largest single forest management certificate in the nation. AWCo and its partners are aligned geographically and philosophically with the goals of responsible resource management. The heat and steam process used to modify the wood creates a value added product without the use of chemicals.
- DOMESTIC: AWCo thermally modified timber is domestically grown, harvested, kilned, milled and sold in North America. Lead times and availability range depending on location of the species and the time of year it is harvested.
- CHEMICAL FREE: Thermally modified wood attains superior exterior qualities without the use of toxic chemicals.
After wood has been thermally modified its properties are more stable than standard kiln dried wood. The swelling and shrinking ofwood due to moisture variations can be reduced by up to 60%. After the modification process, the physical structure of the wood is changed permanently. Because of these changes in the structure of the wood, its ability to absorb moisture from the surrounding environment greatly declines, making it more durable than untreated wood against biological damages such as decay caused by brown rot and fungus. Like unmodified wood, uncoated thermally modified wood will turn a grey weathered color over a period of time when exposed to direct sunlight. To attain the best biological durability, thermally modified wood should be surface coated.
- DECAY RESISTANT: Thermally-modified wood no longer contains sufficient nutrients to support insect infestation or fungal attack.
- INCREASED DIMENSIONAL STABILITY: Thermally modified wood is less susceptible to cupping and warping with changes in relative humidity.
- ENHANCED APPEARANCE: Thermally modified wood can be pushed to varying shades of color throughout depending on client needs.